Stretch Your Way
Happy Wellness Wednesday!
Wellness Wednesday emails are designed to provide you with simple tools, information, and resources to encourage positive and healthy lifestyle choices. As a proud recipient of The Healthy Arizona Worksite Award, The Be Kind People Project is committed to the health and wellness of their employees, friends, and family.
Hello everyone! Now that we’re a few months into the year, it’s time to start settling down and bringing stability into our new year routines. One great way to do this is through yoga! Practicing yoga is a fantastic way to move your body and feel better mentally and physically.
Yoga is a natural stress reliever
Although many might think yoga is just fancy stretching, it can actually aid in improving stress responses. Here’s how it works:
- Moving your body helps release endorphins that make you feel good.
- The meditative aspect of yoga helps create a mind-body connection, and deep breathing adds some calm into the mix.
- Yoga as a practice helps reduce the stress response by lowering your heart rate and blood pressure.
To learn more about the health benefits of yoga, check out Harvard Health
Starting something new can be intimidating. Luckily, phone apps can be great tools for beginners to get their foot in the door and practice on their own time.
- Down Dog: This is an app that makes yoga accessible so that you can practice at a time and place that is convenient for you.
- Jade Yoga: Buy a mat and they plant a tree! Jade Yoga provides highly-rated eco-friendly yoga products and prioritizes giving back to the community.
- Bonus Tip: Check-in with your doctor! When starting any new physical activity, it is important to make sure that your body is ready. Fortunately, yoga is a great workout option for a variety of people because it allows you to choose the intensity level that is best for you and your body.
Unique types of yoga
Practicing yoga is a great way to balance your mind, body, and soul. If the standard Vinyasa Flow isn't for you, there are many other options for you to try!
- Hot yoga: This is a more intense style of yoga that is typically performed in hot, humid conditions. Hot yoga is not for everyone. Some people find that hot yoga allows them to get a deeper stretch and feel more relaxed, but if you have any medical concerns that hot yoga might not be appropriate for you, check with your doctor first.
- Goat yoga: Yep, that’s right. Goat yoga is amazing for the animal lover in you. Goat yoga combines basic yoga with the benefits of spending time with cute, funny animals.
Fast Facts: Desk or Chair Yoga
This is an amazing subtype of yoga that is inclusive of most ages and abilities. Chair yoga allows you to be seated while still receiving many of the benefits that traditional yoga provides. In fact, you can even do it during your workday!
Click here for some subtle yoga poses you can do at your desk today.
Questions? Comments? Want to contribute to the Wellness Wednesday Bulletin?
Send your ideas to Krysta Flores at email@example.com.