Happy Wellness Wednesday!
Wellness Wednesday emails are designed to provide you with simple tools, information, and resources to encourage positive and healthy lifestyle choices. As a proud recipient of The Healthy Arizona Worksite Award, The Be Kind People Project is committed to the health and wellness of their employees, friends, and family.
Social distancing is our way of practicing being considerate to vulnerable populations during global health concerns, but it can also lead to the temptation to ease up on the overall goals we’ve set for ourselves. We may be working from home but this doesn’t mean we can’t keep being fit, healthy, and kind!
Be Fit – Move, Stretch, Strengthen!
With global health concerns growing, fitness-based businesses are closing their doors to keep everyone safe and healthy. But even if your gym, yoga studio, or martial arts classes are shutting down, you can still get up and move! There are plenty of apps, YouTube channels, and social media users that are coming together for the community. Check some out below!
- FitOn: Always on, always FREE. This app has access to a wide variety of workouts from celebrity trainers. Discover new workouts solo or share it with friends! The best part? You can easily do these workouts in your living room, bedroom, or outside! The meditative aspect of yoga helps create a mind-body connection, and deep breathing adds some calm into the mix.
- Corepower Yoga – On Demand: If you’re down about not being able to head to yoga, have no fear! Corepower is here to help you by offering FREE online classes! Click here for some additional YouTube yoga channels.
- Practice ergonomics: Click here to learn how you can protect your body while you work. You can even use a yoga ball as a chair, or use a kitchen counter as a standing desk!
Be Healthy – Rethink My Drink, Eat the Rainbow, Snack Smart
Want some ideas on what to eat and drink during your social distancing? Here are some apps to help keep you eating healthy!
- Tasty: Love those videos you see while scrolling through Facebook? Check out their website for all those recipes in one place!
- InstaCart: Get your groceries at the tap of a button! Shop online at grocery stores in your area and have them ready in about an hour. You can even choose to have them delivered to you or pick them up yourself!
- Meal Delivery Services: Services like HelloFresh and Blue Apron allow you to customize your delivery plans based on your lifestyle. Choose your meals and they’ll deliver them straight to your door in a safely insulated box with pre-portioned ingredients that you can make with easy-to-follow instructions! You can also cancel deliveries or change meals easily
Be Kind – Sleep, Breathe Deeply, Be ME and LOVE IT
Social distancing is an excellent idea and practice for protecting our vulnerable populations, but it can lead to feelings of isolation and loneliness. Here are some tips and tricks to help keep your mental health strong and healthy as well!
- Shine Toolkit: Shine, a mental wellness app and community, has created a toolkit with resources to help strengthen mental health during this season of uncertainty.
- Tips from the CDC: Click here for how to manage stress and anxiety to cope and take care of your emotional health.
- Practice these tricks to stay productive while working from home!
As mentioned earlier, we’re all on this journey together. So, check-in on each other (FaceTime, send an encouraging text to someone, call a friend or family member while you eat lunch), go outside and take a walk, get up and move, or journal! But ultimately, take care of yourself and don’t feel guilty about needing to take a break from social media (or the media in general). Take care of yourself, take care of each other, and don’t forget to BE KIND PEOPLE.
The CDC recommends that you wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds to prevent the spread of germs.
Like the song says, “we have to stay positive! People are getting sick, but we still have to BE KIND!”
This is a perfect time to spread kindness (not germs) by practicing The BE KIND Pledge™.
Published March 18th, 2020
By Krysta Flores, School Wellness Programs & Events Coordinator at BKPP
Questions? Comments? Want to contribute to the Wellness Wednesday Bulletin?
Send your ideas to Krysta Flores at email@example.com.